During the winter of 2017 we decided to do some upgrades on the shop truck, we started out by removing all of the front sheet metal, motor and transmission. Starting out with completely disassembling the motor we found out it was in extremely nice condition and was never rebuilt before. The cylinder heads and the block were sent down to Southern Minnesota Auto Supply in Rochester for all of the machine work and rebuilding of the heads.
After getting the block back we installed new flat top pistons, new bearings through out the motor, comp cam, Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, and Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer Carburetor. When we put all of the accessories on we kept the cast long water pump, added a chrome Bill's alternator bracket, and a Tuff Stuff Chrome 100 amp alternator. The valve covers are cast aluminum finned and a 14" finned air cleaner to match. The distributor was put on a old SUN distributor machine and dialed in to perfection.
The 700r4 transmission was sent to Country Side Transmission in Pine Island for a complete overhaul. While we waited for the motor and transmission to be rebuilt we painted the firewall, inner fenders and radiator core support using a trim black from SEM products.
We made the decision at this time to update the suspension to, I found a complete suspension from a 1972 C10. this was perfect because there is allot more options for the c10 versus a c20. We replaced the rear axle with the 10 bolt out of the 72, now we had a 5x5 bolt pattern for the wheels and a 3.08 gear, we were good for the highway! At the same time we installed new trailing arms, C-notched the frame and installed 7" rear drop kit from Classic Performance Products. We also kept and rebuilt the rear drum brakes. the only thing we used for the front was the center link and the control arms, we replaced all of the steering components, ball joints, and bushings. we changed the spindles out to a 2.5" drop spindle 2" drop springs and disc brake kit from Belltech, installed a front sway bar, booster and master cylinder from CPP.
Now that we have a 5x5 bolt pattern we had more options for wheels, keeping a traditional look to match the build of the truck we started looking in old magazines from the late 60's and early 70's to see what was available in that era. We made the decision to go with Cragar SS and new new tires. masked off the entire truck and sprayed Lizard Skin Sound Deadener in the back of the truck to quiet it down. Being a sucker for shiny stuff we replaced the front and rear bumpers with chrome ones, and installed a trailer hitch behind the license plate just in case.